Thursday 19 December 2013

Aunty Norah's Quilt

Not really a UFO as I only started this quilt a couple of months ago. It was the first major quilt task on the long arm - as it was a quilt requested for another person.  At her 90th birthday party, my aunt saw images of my quilts and liked them. A quilt for mother's day was the request from her daughter to which I happily agreed.  Well it didn't happen then but I kept thinking about a quilt for Nor then I decided that would be a project for the long arm.

I prefer to make modern quilts in bright colours (like Mind the Gap) but I know that she would prefer something feminine.Her favourite colour is pink and I had very little pink in my stash so I had to search for pink that went with my colours.

This is the result


The border of pink roses makes it a very sweet quilt.


The swirling heart pattern is just right for this quilt and the recipient. This is the back - small green dots.


 I thought that the back needed a lift so I inserted various test blocks that I made while I was designing the quilt. I was playing around with equilateral triangles and seeing the designs that they made. At one stage these blocks were going to be the quilt but I chose the simpler geometric shape it is.




The binding took forever. I made silly mistakes as I rushed to finish it as my aunt is very ill. Finally, it is finished and  it has been posted to my aunt. I do hope she gets to see it, hold it and stay with us till next winter so it can keep her warm.

Break from completing UFO's (yes there are still more) and see if I can create Christmas stockings in a few hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment