Sunday 15 December 2013

A Day of Mitered Joins

As I was joining the many 2.5 " strips to make the binding for each UFO, I thought about the "Jelly Roll Race" quilt. I decided to have a break from making binding and make one of these quilts.

Take a jelly roll. Join the 40 strips end to end. Now this join can be a mitered join (which I was doing for the binding strips) or a "confetti" square of 2.5 inches. I decided to use the mitered join.

The end result is a 1600 " strip as shown below (ignore the inelegant dog)


I then joined the strip in a geometric progression 1600, 800, 400, 200, 100, 50. The quilters on the you tube videos can do this in 32 minutes. I took much longer coping with dogs wanting to be fed, patted and generally entertained - much like two year old children.

The end result is interesting. It looks pretty bland so I'll need to jazz it up with strong borders. It is however, a quick quilt top. No thinking, no planning, no careful piecing, completely random - just sew long seams together.



I think a 2 inch border then a second 5 inch border will add to this very simple quilt.


Quilting pattern is going to be meandering stars and loops. It will be an opportunity for me to practice free motion on my long arm. Not sure of the design for the borders. I think a cross hatch may be suitable. Back to completing the other quilts.

In between the jelly roll diversion,  I did make the binding for Stars and the first border for Lollipops. Just a lot of mitered joins.


Finally found out how to set the correct date (Setting Language and Formatting). Another learning step. Yay!.

No comments:

Post a Comment