Sunday 8 December 2013

Pure finished

Completed quilting Pure. Unpinned from front roller (belly bar)

I release the clamp from the right side and unroll the quilt

Doesn't look too bad.

Yet another quilt to bind but with each UFO that I do, I become more aware of this machine. I think I'll call it Agatha. I'm checking the tension with this thread and needle. With Aurifil thread, Ne 50/2 - which is very fine -  I think that a size 14 or 16 is appropriate . I'm trying a size 16 at the moment and possibly it is too large.

 Loaded the Puppy quilt. I made (and designed) this top 9 months ago. I started free motion quilting each block on my Janome but had only completed half the quilt. It was a slow procedure and even though this is a small quilt, it was tricky to push through the throat of the sewing machine.


I had eight blocks to do so I stabilised each block with a quarter inch border then selected eight different patterns which I scaled to fit within the border. Maths ability is great skill to have for quilting and understanding of older computer programs means that I can (usually) make QBOT do what I want it to.

Quilt finished! It is getting easier. The only problem was one block that was in three sections and I have a teeny bit of unpicking to do. Below is an example of one of the blocks (from the back). I can see how it can be used in other quilts.

I pieced the back of the Puppy Quilt. It's fun to create a back that is interesting and blends with the quilt front. The half done with the long arm fits with the domestic machine blocks. I have some trimming to do then lots of binding.


I found a quilt top that I had started years ago, not finished and needing borders. The incomplete pattern in the box with the top is date 2008 so maybe 4 years ago I pieced the top. Aware of the cost of quilting and thinking that this was just a fun quilt for the g-kids, it somehow was put to one side and forgotten.

Now it will be quilt number 12 and with it I will try custom quilting, corners and borders. I do have a couple of wall hangings that need quilting and they may be done first. Oh and I have a cheater cloth of Amish design and I'd like to try free motion on it. Anyway now it's gardening time then sewing on bindings. Quilting is so much fun!

Must work out how to fix the date - It's Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment