Friday 6 December 2013

At last - UFO's become quilts

Preparing the quilt

Learning how to use my Handi Quilter is a great opportunity to finish all those quilt tops hidden in plastic boxes. As I start quilt number nine, I decided to record the steps and get the process in some logical order - sharing the tips that I've learnt by watching many you-tube videos, reading any related articles, enrolling in Craftsy classes and trying various methods.

Now the quilt top has been pressed - and maybe starched - as I created it, however it's been in a plastic box for a couple of years. I was not happy with the precision of my points and reluctant to let someone else see my work so I wouldn't hand it over to a long arm quilter. Now I'm gradually learning that precise points are not earth shattering and most people don't even notice.

(now I need to learn how to put a photo in - from ipad or iphone to PC). I can see the insert image - later
Pure

Wow that was a long process. There must be an easier way.

Anyway - this is the before picture. As I mentioned, I pieced the quilt top a couple of years ago. The backing is on the left of screen.

The backing

The backing has to be prepared just like the quilt top. In this case I joined two 2 yard long strips and I will have a seam down the centre of the backing. The quilt is 55" square so I have much more than the suggested 4 to 6 inches around all sides The centre seam is a large quarter inch (even half inch is good) and pressed open. I make sure that both ends are secure by backstitching the seam at both ends. And of course press the backing to remove any creases.

Probably one of the most important things to do is to ensure that the backing is square. I often use improv piecing and test blocks in my backs hence I may have very uneven edges that need to be trimmed square. In this case, the backing wasn't too uneven but still required trimming to get a perfect rectangular shape. I fold it like a sheet and when I get to 4 layers, I can start to trim on my cutting mat.

Loading the quilt

Saturday 7 December

Success with photos...

Found an App called Photo Transfer and have set it up on iphone and PC and they talk to each other using WiFi.

I'm going to throw some pictures up and just comment on them. Later I will put it into some sort of order.

This is quilt number 8. The top was pieced about 18 months ago. I was trying to improve my piecing skills It was called "Mind the Gap" and uses Moda Bella fabric.

Using improv piecing I created the backing. I really love this backing.

I spent quite some time deciding on the pattern and thread. This time I chose a variegated cream Sulky for the thread and  a flowing curve for the pattern. As the front was very linear I looked for a curvy pattern to contrast the the lines.

Aside - this photo transfer is easy but I should find out what size are the jpg's.





No comments:

Post a Comment